Spiced Chicken PitasMake a perfect summer supper: grill spice-rubbed chicken breasts and tuck them into whole-wheat pitas along with fresh vegetables and a tangy yogurt sauce. Serve with: Grilled vegetables and a pilsner.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala , (see Tip), divided
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 cup thinly sliced seeded cucumber
- 3/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro , or mint
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Freshly ground pepper , to taste
- 4 6-inch whole-wheat pitas, warmed
- 1 cup shredded romaine lettuce
- 2 small or 1 large tomato, sliced
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- Preheat grill to medium-high or position rack in upper third of oven and preheat broiler. If grilling, oil the grill rack (see Tip). If broiling, coat a broiler pan with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle chicken with 1 teaspoon garam masala and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Place the chicken on the grill rack or prepared pan and cook until no longer pink in the center and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 165°F, 4 to 8 minutes per side, depending on the size of the breast. Transfer the chicken to a clean cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine cucumber, yogurt, cilantro (or mint), lemon juice, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon garam masala and 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper in a small bowl. Thinly slice the chicken. Split open the warm pitas and fill with the chicken, yogurt sauce, lettuce, tomato and onion.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2. Refrigerate the chicken in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
- Tips: Garam masala is a blend of spices used in Indian cooking. It is available in the spice section of most supermarkets.
- To oil a grill rack, oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
NutritionPer serving: 333 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 64 mg cholesterol; 44 g carbohydrates; 32 g protein; 6 g fiber; 637 mg sodium; 485 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value), Vitamin A (25% dv), Magnesium (21% dv), Iron (20% dv).
2 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat
Chicken Piccata with Pasta & Mushrooms
Our chicken piccata, served over whole-wheat pasta, has a rich lemon-caper sauce that's made with extra-virgin olive oil and just a touch of butter for flavor. If you like, you can use a mild fish like tilapia or even shrimp instead of chicken breast.
- 6 ounces whole-wheat angel hair pasta
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 chicken cutlets, (3/4-1 pound total), trimmed
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 10-ounce package mushrooms, sliced
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- 2 teaspoons butter
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add pasta and cook until just tender, 4 to 6 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and rinse.
- Meanwhile, whisk 5 teaspoons flour and broth in a small bowl until smooth. Place the remaining flour in a shallow dish. Season chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper and dredge both sides in the flour. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned and no longer pink in the middle, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate; cover and keep warm.
- Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon oil in the pan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, until they release their juices and begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Add garlic and wine to the pan and cook until reduced by half, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the reserved broth-flour mixture, lemon juice and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring, until the sauce is thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in parsley, capers, butter and the reserved mushrooms. Measure out 1/2 cup of the mushroom sauce. Toss the pasta in the pan with the remaining sauce. Serve the pasta topped with the chicken and the reserved sauce.
NutritionPer serving: 397 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 3 g mono); 54 mg cholesterol; 45 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 28 g protein; 5 g fiber; 544 mg sodium; 609 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (37% daily value), Vitamin C (18% dv), Potassium (17% dv), Iron (16% dv).
3 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 3 1/2 lean meat
Copyright © 2004 & 2007 Ibrahim Mohamed! Inc. All rights reserved.e-mail:email@example.com